Olympia Roller Skating Rink
It took less than two months to build the rink which was located at the bottom of King Street, with entrance gained through Orchard Place.
There were gentlemen only and ladies only sessions as well as mixed or partners only and these were announced by signals changing within the rink. The ‘Special’ signal was used to notify everyone that a special display would take place and the rink would be cleared for it.
These display sessions of trick and fancy skating were for everyone to enjoy and perhaps gave inspiration. Named moves such as ‘Two Step’, ‘Dutch Roll’ (backwards and forwards), ‘Heel and Toe Vines’, ‘Grape Vines’, ‘Toe Spin’ and ‘Spread Eagle’ were demonstrated. These were executed by staff or visitors to the rink, some invited specially.
A staff of roller skating instructors was engaged to support the patrons of the rink in the enjoyment of their pastime. A floormaster supervised these assistants. Many of them came from places with established roller rinks and once Stirling was up and running they moved on, being replaced by either local staff or other experienced incomers. This included the floor master, the manager, the skater mechanic and doorkeeper.
A band played music in the afternoons and evenings following the signalled sessions. The programme of tunes was changed over the season as time allowed.
There were over 20 employees including band, management and instructors at the time of opening, although numbers were reduced in the second season.
Services offered included child and adult instruction and Spalding’s ball bearing skates were supplied for hire.
The tea-rooms had waitress service at the tea-tables and were managed by Messrs Keith and Ralston, local caterers.
Messrs Kenmarks Ltd Roller Skating Rink in King Street, Stirling.
References: Stirling Observer articles, 1909 to 1911.